February 24, 2015
We Lift Our Voices!
Texas Alliance members visited as many congresspersons as we could during the recess February 16-20. We didn’t just listen quietly to the reps and their staff members, we let them know what we think about the current efforts to undermine Social Security and retiree health care! Even though we were always polite, we made sure that every member of our delegation got his/her opinions stated and questions answered. Even though we may not know all the ins and outs of congressional legislation, we have a pretty good sense of what’s going on and when we are being misled. In general, the longer it takes a Representative or a staffer to explain something, the less likely it is to be true. If they can explain it in a few words, they’re probably on the straight and narrow.
Houston retirees met with Congressman Gene Green. Austin folks met with Lloyd Doggett. Dallas sent a delegation to Jeb Hensarling and then sat in with others in a meeting with Marc Veasey. All over the nation, retiree activists were going to our best friends and our least favorite congresspersons. The more they know we’re watching them, the better legislation will be for the right to retire in America!
Michael Garcia, District Director for Congressman Jeb Hensarling, said that the Texas Alliance for Retired Americans is the most active group that comes to their offices. That’s right!
Here’s some of the things we’ll be involved in soon:
- A “Tailgate Party” hosted by Postal Clerk retirees. It was originally scheduled for February 23, but postponed because of icy weather. We’re still going to do it! Sponsored by APWU retirees at 2010 Postal Way.
- March 2, 7P: Texas Theater: SHADOWS OF LIBERTY: Shadows of Liberty reveals the extraordinary truth behind the news media: censorship, cover-ups and outright lies! I’ll be on the panel after the movie.
- March 6, noon: March for voting rights begins on the Continental Bridge (Westside). Organized by Juanita Wallace 972-803-3052
- Mar 7, 11A -1P: – International Women’s Day: Sharing our stories, learning from each other, moving forward together! 334 Centre St., Dallas (Oak Cliff). Open to all.
- Mar 9: Texas AFT (Teachers & school personnel) lobby day at the capitol.
- Mar 12: Medicaid expansion march in Austin. Children’s Defense League. TOP is organizing buses from Dallas. Call 214-729-1119
- Apr 3, 10A 10th annual Good Friday march through downtown Dallas. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apr10: Working Class Conference in Plano, Collin College. I’ll be on t he panel.
- Texas AFL-CIO and its partners are launching a campaign “Texas Needs a Raise.” They want a state minimum wage of at least $10.10 and other raises for public employees. Sign the petition!
–-Gene Lantz, President
PLEASE contribute any amount, or make a monthly pledge, to Texas Alliance for Retired Americans by clicking here.
Sign our petition to Dallas Mayor Rawlings asking him to stop pushing to privatize the school district.
We’re also still gathering petitions for health care implementation in Texas. Sign that petition at:
Contact Gene Lantz at email@example.com
Judy Bryant at 214-729-0063
facebook: Texas Alliance for Retired Americans